History

 

Bangladesh National Cadet Corps (BNCC) a para-military national institution established with the aim of developing moral standards and leadership qualities in young men and women. Its guiding principles are knowledge, discipline and unity.


The Corps initiated its activities in the Dhaka University under the provisions of the Indian Territorial Forces Act, 1923. Captain E. Groom, the first Adjutant of the Corps, imparted military training to 100 students and 16 teachers in November 1927. University Training Corps was officially founded in June 1928. After independence from the British, this company was raised to a Battalion in 1950 and was renamed as University Officers Training Corps (UOTC). Subsequently, the UOTC programme was extended to Chittagong and Rajshahi Universities. In 1966, the programme was extended to few colleges with the name Junior Cadet Corps (JCC). The members of this Corps took part in the war of liberation in 1971. After liberation, Bangladesh Cadet Corps comprising college students, and Junior Cadet Corps comprising junior students, were formed in addition to University Officers Training Corps. On 23 March 1979 University Officers Training Corps, Bangladesh Cadet Corps and Junior Cadet Corps were all merged by a government order to form Bangladesh National Cadet Corps. At present, its headquarters is located in Sector 6, Uttara, Dhaka.


There are three type of Cadets in BNCC and divided under two broad heads namely, Senior Division and Junior Division cadets. Senior division again has two categories of female and male cadets of various levels of education. The Bangladesh Government Cabinet approved a proposal to bring BNCC under a legal framework and department. The proposal was titled Bangladesh National Cadet Corps Act-2016. The separate department would be under the Ministry of Defense.